Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The Bookseller by Cynthia Swanson

Published March 3, 2015 by Harper

The Bookseller is part of the Spring SheReads book choices.    Every quarter SheReads chooses a few books and promotes them to the SheReads community.  


Nothing is as permanent as it appears . . .

Denver, 1962: Kitty Miller has come to terms with her unconventional single life. She loves the bookshop she runs with her best friend, Frieda, and enjoys complete control over her day-to-day existence. She can come and go as she pleases, answering to no one. There was a man once, a doctor named Kevin, but it didn’t quite work out the way Kitty had hoped.

Then the dreams begin.

Denver, 1963: Katharyn Andersson is married to Lars, the love of her life. They have beautiful children, an elegant home, and good friends. It's everything Kitty Miller once believed she wanted—but it only exists when she sleeps.

Convinced that these dreams are simply due to her overactive imagination, Kitty enjoys her nighttime forays into this alternate world. But with each visit, the more irresistibly real Katharyn’s life becomes. Can she choose which life she wants? If so, what is the cost of staying Kitty, or becoming Katharyn?

As the lines between her worlds begin to blur, Kitty must figure out what is real and what is imagined. And how do we know where that boundary lies in our own lives? 

My Thoughts…

Have you ever had a dream that seemed so real that when you woke up you had to take a few minutes to decide where you were?   That is Kitty’s life.  She is having dreams and living real life.   These two worlds are colliding and she is having a hard time deciding what is real.    

I have thought what if… what if I hadn’t met my wonderful husband and had my amazing children?   What if I hadn’t started working for my parents?   What if… what if… what if… that is the world of Kitty.   By seeing Kitty’s what if’s I felt that I really got to know and understand her.   I knew her life, her wishes, her dreams, and where her life was heading.   Or so I thought.   I loved watching her cope with both worlds and try to figure out what was happening.    When the light finally went on for Kitty, I sighed.    She is in the right place, with the right people, and with the right tools to make her life happy.  

Cynthia Swanson has written a book showing how people can cope with stress in their life.   I don’t want to give away what that stress is, but I didn’t see it coming.   It shows how people use mechanisms to cope with events in the world.    


I thought I was picking up a light and fun read.  It was, but it was more than that.   I could not put the book down.   I was excited to learn more about Kitty and her lives.    This is definitely a book I would recommend.   

Book Links

No comments:

Post a Comment