Friday, June 26, 2015

A Week at the Lake by Wendy Wax

Published June 23, 2015 by Berkley

Twenty years ago, Emma Michaels, Mackenzie Hayes, and Serena Stockton bonded over their New York City dreams. Then, each summer, they solidified their friendship by spending one week at the lake together, solving their problems over bottles of wine and gallons of ice cream. They kept the tradition for years, until jealousy, lies, and life’s disappointments made them drift apart.

It’s been five years since Emma has seen her friends, an absence designed to keep them from discovering a long-ago betrayal. Now she’s in desperate need of their support. The time has come to reveal her secrets—and hopefully rekindle their connection.

But when a terrible accident keeps Emma from saying her piece, Serena and Mackenzie begin to learn about the past on their own. Now, to heal their friendship and their broken lives, the three women will have to return to the lake that once united them, and discover which relationships are worth holding on to . . . 

My Thoughts…

I picked this up hoping it would be a fun, light summer read.   The perfect book to take to the pool or the beach is what I was hoping for.    I would say it fit what I was looking for perfectly.   

It is the story of three friends, Emma, Serena, and Mackenzie, who have known each other for years.   They lost their friendship for a few years and are now getting back together.   I felt like the story started slow.   Emma is in the hospital and the friends are rally around to get her healthy again.   The hospital part of the storyline seemed slow and long to me.    I felt like the story could have moved along a little quicker.   The good part of this part of the story was that I got to know the personalities of Serena and Mackenzie.   I could see how much they cared for each other and Zoe, Emma’s daughter.  

The second part of the story, when the ladies are at the lake rekindling their friendships and helping Emma get her strength back, was the best.    The love, the understanding, the care was all so evident in their interactions.     I also loved that in this part you really got to know the other characters.  You got a good look at why Serena dated only married men.   Mackenzie was happily married to Adam, yet they had been apart and hardly communicating for over a month, was this a sign of things to come?     Then there is Zoe and her story, which I can’t tell about or it will give away too much of the surprise storyline.  


I wanted these ladies and Zoe to salvage their friendships, to become as close as they once were, and to be friends in the future.    I was invested in all of their lives.     I enjoyed A Week at the Lake and certainly recommend it as a great beach/pool/summer read.  

Book Links

No comments:

Post a Comment