Wednesday, January 20, 2016

The Forgotten Room by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig

Published January 19, 2016 by NAL

I received my copy of The Forgotten Room from Danielle Dill, Publicity at Berkley & NAL, Penguin Random House im exchange for an honest review. 


1945: When the critically wounded Captain Cooper Ravenal is brought to a private hospital on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, young Dr. Kate Schuyler is drawn into a complex mystery that connects three generations of women in her family to a single extraordinary room in a Gilded Age mansion.

Who is the woman in Captain Ravenel's portrait miniature who looks so much like Kate?  And why is she wearing the ruby pendant handed down to Kate by her mother?  In their pursuit of answers, they find themselves drawn into the turbulent stories of Gilded Age Olive Van Alen, driven from riches to rags, who hired out as a servant in the very house her father designed, and Jazz Age Lucy Young, who came from Brooklyn to Manhattan in pursuit of the father she had never known.  But are Kate and Cooper ready for the secrets that will be revealed in the Forgotten Room?

My Thoughts…

Three women, three different stories, three different eras and yet their stories are all intertwined.        The wonderful authors of The Forgotten Room pulled it all together, tying up loose ends, and telling an amazing story that kept me hooked from the first page to the very last.   

The Forgotten Room is a love story that spans eras.   It starts with a mother which leads to a daughter and ends with a granddaughter.     The love that Olive, Lucy, and Kate find is not an easy love.   It is a love that has withstood time and heartbreak.     There are things that stand in the way of these women finding their happy ever after and they must make tough decisions on what they want for their lives.     While there is love, there is also hardships, sadness, and separation.   

The love story part was the main story there was also the mystery of what happen to Harry Pratt, the first part of the love story.     I had ideas, I tried to follow the clues, and I thought I had it figured out.  Yet I found I was truly clueless.     Until closer to the end of the story I did not have it figured out right.     This could frustrate some readers, but to me it just added so much to the story.  I love to be kept guessing and kept wondering while reading.     If the author gives away the secrets too soon it takes so much from the book.   

I could not put The Forgotten Room down and highly recommend checking it out. 

Book Links


No comments:

Post a Comment