Friday, February 26, 2016

Flight of Dreams by Ariel Lawhon

ebook, 336 pages
Expected publication: February 23rd 2016 by Doubleday 

With everyone onboard harboring dark secrets and at least one person determined to make sure the airship doesn't make the return trip, Flight of Dreams gives an utterly suspenseful, heart-wrenching explanation for one of the most enduring mysteries of the twentieth century.

On the evening of May 3, 1937, Emilie Imhof boards theHindenburg. As the only female crewmember, Emilie has access to the entire airship, from the lavish dining rooms and passenger suites to the gritty engine cars and control room. She hears everything, but with rumors circulating about bomb threats, Emilie's focus is on maintaining a professional air . . . and keeping her own plans under wraps.
     What Emilie can't see is that everyone—from the dynamic vaudeville acrobat to the high-standing German officer—seems to be hiding something.
     Giving free rein to countless theories of sabotage, charade, and mishap, Flight of Dreams takes us on the thrilling three-day transatlantic flight through the alternating perspectives of Emilie; Max, the ship's navigator who is sweet on her; Gertrud, a bold female journalist who's been blacklisted in her native Germany; Werner, a thirteen-year-old cabin boy with a bad habit of sneaking up on people; and a brash American who's never without a drink in his hand. Everyone knows more than they initially let on, and as the novel moves inexorably toward its tragic climax, the question of which of the passengers will survive the trip infuses every scene with a deliciously unbearable tension.

My Thoughts…

I feel like I live under a rock.   I had no idea of the Hindenburg and I am ashamed to say that the WWII era is one of my favorite.    Thanks to Ariel Lawhon I now know and am excited to want to learn more.      

Ariel Lawhon does an amazing job introducing the characters.  I love how the chapters are broke into smaller chapters told by the different characters.   There was never any doubt who was telling the story and what their part in the flight was.    I found this made it very easy to follow and enjoy the entire story.   It was interesting how the various characters perceived events differently and what their rolls in those events are.    While this is a fiction book, it was interesting to me that the characters names are the real names of those who flew on the Hindenburg.   


Flight of Dreams is the perfect mix of fiction with a lot of history and true mixed in.     I learned so much about the era, the people, and the flight yet the book was a story.     The story tugged at my heart and opened my eyes.    I definitely will recommend this book.

Book Links



No comments:

Post a Comment